Tuesday, January 22, 2013

On Catholic Priests and Millstones


Whenever I read of Catholic priests sexually abusing children, I can’t help but wonder if they’ve ever seen a millstone.

The reason I wonder is that priests, as professional Christians, know very well one of Jesus’ most famous sayings:  “Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.  If any of  you put a stumbling block before one of these little ones who believe in me, it would be better for you if a great millstone were fastened around your neck and you were drowned in the depth of the sea.”  (Matt. 18:5-6, NRSV)

Have you ever seen a millstone?

I saw one several years ago when I was researching The Gospel of Yeshua.  It was a wheel cut from a single block of granite, and as I recall it was at least eight feet tall and made a track about five feet wide.  

Picture yourself with that thing tied to your neck and tossed into the ocean.  Think about it. 

Can anyone explain to me how it is even remotely possible that so many Christ-believing priests can preach that passage every day and still do what they do?

-Skip

1 comment:

  1. In America, the target victims are often boys. In Latin America, Spain, the target victims are often girls. A nun once told me that she thought men who were pedophiles turned to the priesthood because they thought they could find the cure there. That God would take care of them.

    ReplyDelete